Monday, August 26, 2013

September Issues


September brings many new things. In fashion, it means the biggest magazine issues of the year. For students like me, it means the end of summer and the start of a new school year. On my journey from LA back to the University of Michigan I was able to catch up on three September issues: Vogue, Marie Claire, and InStyle. Interestingly enough, this was the first time I really read each magazine cover to cover and one after the other. I was shocked by how I suddenly became aware of the aspects I loved about each magazine and how each has its own essence or feel.

Anna Wintour's "letter from the editor" at the beginning of Vogue caught my attention. I really admired how she wrote about women and our independence and strength. Following this letter, the article that I enjoyed the most was the cover story on Jennifer Lawrence. As an avid Hunger Games fan, it was interesting to learn more about Lawrence and the different aspects of her personality. A common misconception about Vogue is that the entire magazine is focused on fashion. Although it is a fashion magazine, there are numerous sections that highlight the many different aspects of popular culture.

Next I read Marie Claire. I have always enjoyed reading Marie Claire because it is a good balance of articles and fashion. The cover story on Zooey Deschanel was fantastic, but I was particularly drawn to an article called "The Get-Ahead Grin." It focused on a woman's story of how her appearance allowed her to advance in her career. The message that looks really do matter was disturbing to me; however, it was a well-written and very interesting article.

Finally, I finished with InStyle. This magazine is great because it focuses on current trends in the fashion world. The editors do a wonderful job demonstrating how a normal person, rather than a model, can incorporate these trends into their everyday lives. The only down side of this magazine is that there are not many in-depth articles to read. In this issue there was an article about Rachel Zoe that I enjoyed, but most of the pages were filled with vibrant photos of the latest styles for the fall.

These three magazines offer a similar, yet unique look into the new fall season. These issues are the largest of the year, with two to three times the number of pages as a regular issue. September is a time to start fresh and embrace new beginnings. Whether it be in fashion or the start of a new school year...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments! They make me so happy :) Thank you for reading and stay tuned for more posts!