Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Thoughts on Health and Fitness


We live in a world full of contradictions. One of the most prominent contradictions present in my daily life is to be living a healthy and active lifestyle, coupled with the cool and hip trends of finding and eating great foods and desserts. Like.....what?! We're supposed to be skinny and fit, but also Instagram the amazing desserts we ate with our friends at that trendy restaurant. There is too much pressure put on young women from the media to be these perfect humans and I think that it is ridiculous. Obviously, it would be amazing to naturally be stick skinny and also be able to eat anything that looks good; however, that is not realistic. So, my philosophy has evolved to be "everything in moderation". Workout in ways that are fun and social, but don't become obsessed.  Eat what you desire, but don't pig out to the point that you're always saying "oh, I ate too much". 
 My weakness!

This summer, I have managed to practice my philosophy.  I have started taking Cardio Barre classes with my mom and friends. The hour goes by really fast, the music is awesome, the instructor is inspirational and I actually leave the class thinking how much I enjoyed exercising!!  When I can't make it to class, I've made plans to join friends at the gym, or go on a hike.  This has been a great way to combine socializing with exercise. As for eating all these delicious new food crazes, I say go for it. Honestly, it's all about moderation, so don't go overboard. Have the cronut you've been dying to try or enjoy that plate of pasta without dwelling on the number of carbs your ingesting, just make sure your other food choices for the day are on the healthier side. Although it is great to be very health conscious, you don't want to live your life without trying some of the best foods!

1 comment:

  1. love this post! can't wait to do classes with ya at school!!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments! They make me so happy :) Thank you for reading and stay tuned for more posts!